Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Porcupine Tree

Today was the first day of class. We're learning about Renaissance art every Monday through Thursday, 3 hours a day for three weeks. I think I'm going to enjoy this class, just based on how today went. Dr. Skillen might feed us all kinds of information and fry our brains, but at least it's about something I'm interested in. And I have one question. Why are we so afraid to talk about Mary??? He talked a little about this in class, and I've been wondering this ever since Gordon had the art exhibit entitled Magnificat. Why do we (Protestants) beat around the bush about the woman who bore our Savior? God had to have chosen her for a reason, and why do we often sweep that under the carpet? Appreciation and respect don't have to turn into worship, if that's what we're afraid of. Think of Mary's song. Just read it. It's in Luke 1:46-55. I'll stop here before I try to type out my jumbled thoughts and then say something I'm not exactly sure I believe in, but I hope this provokes some thought for you like it does for me. I believe that there's no reason for us to hide Mary from Bible lessons in church or in our artistic expressions. She's an important model of a Christian if God chose her to carry, bear, and nurture His own flesh.

Okay, moving on. I titled this post "Porcupine Tree" because I heard it playing in this cafe that I'm currently sitting in - Caffe del Corso. I heard it last night while a group of us celebrated our friend Sean's 21st birthday. After making a fool of myself trying to order "Orvieto Vino Bianco Classico," I said to the guy behind the counter, "Musica... ehh, Porcupine Tree?" and then we were friends. He smiled and said, "You like?" I was like "Si, si!" even though I don't know them that well. I have to work on my Italian.

The past few days have consisted of important meetings/walks around town, lunch, and then me, Julia, and Whitney getting gelato, and then chilling out in the grass by the Duomo (the Orvieto Cathedral). One night, Julia and I sat in the sala (the main lounge for the students) by ourselves singing through the whole Fleet Foxes album til 12am. Life in Italy is splendid. But we need to cut back on the gelato a little. Can't do this everyday, heh heh.

By the way, I'm so addicted to Beach House right now. I preach about this band to people daily. Teen Dream might be the album that brings me back to Italy when this time has come and gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment