Sunday, March 14, 2010

Firenze e Arezzo

That means "Florence and Arezzo." That'll be why I haven't been present on the internets since Thursday. On Friday morning, our group took a train to Florence and spent the weekend there. I wish I could tell you exactly how many miles we walked, and how many hours we spent listening to Professor Skillen preach about the history of the countless frescoes we viewed. I might go as far to say that the educational part of the trip (which was 90% of the trip) was painful. By this morning, I thought if I had to look at another fresco, I might punch it. Thankfully, though, we started the day out by visiting a museum full of sculptures, so I was in a good mood by the time was saw the next frescoes. There's something about sculptures that captures me. I feel very connected to the 3D-ness, knowing that the artists wrapped their hands and practically their whole bodies around large chunks of stone to form an image with patience and precision. Let me not get carried away describing how much I love sculpting. I'll just start talking about when a few of my friends and I went to see the famous David sculpture by Michelangelo in our free time.

We had just walked around Florence for probably 6 hours and we were exhausted to the bone, but it was our one chance to wander off and see the masterpiece. When I got inside the museum, there were all kinds of sculptures lining the walls and hallways, with people everywhere. All I wanted to do was find David, I didn't care about anything else. No sculpture or painting would call my attention, my mission was David. So, I began walking, and started thinking to myself, "I am going to have to weave around people and artworks for like 20 minutes before I find him." I tried to follow the flow of people, assuming they were going toward the young hero. I turned a right turn around a corner and skimmed over sculptures and there, at the end of the hallway, standing tall with that sling over his shoulder, with a soft beam of light surrounding him, David took me completely off-guard. I literally jumped and stepped backward. He was much taller than I ever thought, and so much more peaceful than in photographs. He was beautiful. My friend Abby suggested we sit down and draw him, so with the little time that we had, I tried to sketch him in pen. I only got the upper right side of his body and some of his face. Here's a picture of my sketch:



Anyways, the weekend trip was mostly in Florence, and it was definitely memorable. We stayed in an old hostel. I ordered my first plate of real Italian gnocchi and it was oh, so delicious. Before I took my first bite, I said, "This is for you, grandmom!" Some other things that happened this weekend: I ate the biggest cone of gelato ever and then dreamed all night that I kept farting in public and couldn't stop, I got the BEST back massage of my entire life from my new friend Karen, I saw two pugs together and got sad cause I thought of the Stanley pugs (Daisy and Peaches), I soaked up some sun in the Piazza Grande in Arezzo (where "Life is Beautiful" was filmed), I accidentally scratched my aviator lenses on a stupid pillar, and I watched the sun set over Florence while standing on the stairs of a palace that Michelangelo designed.

So, this morning, I woke up in Florence. Our group stopped in Arezzo for a few hours before we went back to Orvieto. I think that I liked Arezzo much better than Florence. I wish we could have spent a night there, instead of only a few hours. But, I suppose I can always take my own weekend trip there. I think I will. It's a lot quieter (less touristy) and the town is more cozy.

Well, that's my weekend in a nutshell (trust me, a nutshell).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Lydia. We want more entries like THIS. And you're quite funny.

    I only spent what felt like two hours in Florence (shame) and I did NOT get to see David (the biggest shame of my life!!!) I remember, I went to Arezzo on a whim, not knowing anything about it, and it was one of my favorite trips in Italy. I loved how it felt like you were walking uphill past shops, homes, and buildings, the top of the buildings looking like giant steps, until you got to the top were there was a park with grass, trees, benches, fountains, and a nice view off of the cliff. That is where we started the tradition of mozzarella, pomodoro, pane, e vino for a perfect Italian lunch in the park under the sun :). Have you done that yet???

    Also, isn't it so cool that you can tell a town by it's color? Each town is built right from the stone it stands on, and Arezzo was a lighter, pinker shade, whereas Orvieto is darker and more earthy. Oh Italia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't done the picnic thing yet. We actually haven't had the freedom to travel on our own yet. I'll let you know when that happens. We're finishing up Skillen's class this week, so weekend excursions might come less frequently and we'll travel on our own.

    I agree about the color thing. Arezzo, to me, is pinky, orangy. Orvieto is definitely darker. Rome is white and pink. Florence is white and green. Assissi is light earthy colors with some brown. Siena is orange. I love it. They build their cities straight from the rock beneath them.

    ReplyDelete