Sunday, February 28, 2010

San Francesco di Assisi

Yesterday, we went to Assisi for the whole day. We did tons of walking and viewing of art, monasteries, churches, convents, hermitages, and more. It was exhausting and I don't know if I can sit down and remember every single little thing we did and saw, but it was probably my favorite trip so far here in Italy. It was so quiet and therapeutic to me. I was very interested in what I learned about Saint Francis, even though I'm not exactly sure how to apply it to myself. I like to have these things that cause me to reflect on my own beliefs and determine where they fit in and how I respond to them. Many Catholics see Saint Francis as another Christ. It's a long, long story, but I can understand the comparison. I still have many questions about it, but I know that I don't need to know and I know what I believe. I bought a rosary in Assisi as a way of remembering the experience and out of respect for the deep devotion Saint Francis had to God. It's an amazing story. I couldn't help but think of the songs "The Prayer of Saint Francis" and Denison Witmer's "Little Flowers" all day. I didn't realize that his song was about Saint Francis until I heard the stories, and I get really giddy when I make connections like that. I'm planning on showing the song to Matt Doll (our director) because I know he'd like the connection, too.

My favorite part of the day was toward the beginning, when our group sat under olive trees in an olive grove right outside Saint Francis' convent. We were on a slope and we could see surrounding cities and cars in the perfect sunlight. I played two songs on my guitar after our friend Alessandro played two songs on his. Alessandro is our Italian teacher for the semester and I had the privilege of eating at his house with three other students on Friday night. His sons were stinking adorable (one was 2 and the other 4) and they're way smarter than me. We tried to talk to them in Italian. The looks on their faces when we spoke slow and with terrible pronunciation were humbling. But it was so nice to sit and talk and practice Italian with Alessandro's family. I'm amazed at how fast I am learning it. It would be so different if I was still in America and taking classes to learn it, cause I'm here in the middle of an Italian-speaking town. I hear it all the time and I can understand a lot of it already. It's the speaking part that I still haven't gotten down yet. But I have 4 months to learn. Alessandro and I are like best friends now that he knows I play guitar. Yesterday, after lunch, I had crumbs on my jacket (cause I'm a slob) and Alessandro wiped the crumbs off my coat. It was heart-warming.

By the way, I accidentally left a guitar pick under an olive tree in Assisi. There's a part of me still there. :)

5 comments:

  1. Reading all of this just makes my heart smile. I love you. Do you need a new pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just found this blog! I'm so glad I can keep up with what you're doing! Post some pictures on here? I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Asissi! (However, we certainly don't comapare St. Francis to Christ!) There's some famous church there because of St. Francis, did you go to it? I'd imagine you did... Anyway, I can't wait to hear more. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I remember sitting in those olive groves, and I remember one of the songs Alessandro played on the guitar as we sang along, "Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me..." and something about it made even the sunshine feel different. We heard the bells of two churches on different sides of the hills chiming in harmony with one another, and Alessandro said something about how everything looks so different, sounds so different, and seems so amazing when someone finally sees God in everything. The flowers look more beautiful when we know Him.

    I'm happy you're getting this experience.

    Let me know when Alessandro teaches you the song
    "Gesu dice, 'fino alla fine sono con voi!'"
    (Jesus says, 'I am with you to the end!'")
    It's so fun, and the "voi-oi" part sounds Sufjan-like to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace - I love you too. And I have plenty of guitar picks :)

    Morgan - It was a surprise to hear from you! I'm glad you can keep up with how things are going here. We did go to the church that St. Francis built, but I forget the name. There was a lot of information to take in that day, it's all sort of jumbled together. I don't have a camera charger with me and my camera is dead :( but Sarah is sending me hers soon. I haven't been able to take a single picture. It's dreadful. But, soon! Keep posted :)

    Sarah - Alessandro played that song for us, too. And he played an Italian song about Saint Francis. It was beautiful. I can't believe you remember the church bells, the same exact thing happened for us. It almost slipped my mind. Two different churches with their bells going at different paces, but sounding harmonious together. Sarah, we practically had the same exact experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only, I woke up sick that morning, and I felt like one big bag of hot potatoes, stiff and aching in every muscle, head throbbing, loud noises, bright lights, and wanting to meltdown. However, I forgot about it all in the moment among the olive grove. I'll never forget it.

    Then I went and slept in the van for 3 hours. I sort of missed out on the rest of Assisi. But as I can see, it was a lot to take in!

    I keep saying how glad I am that you're getting this experience. Blah blah blah I AM!!!

    ReplyDelete