Thursday, February 25, 2010

Riposo

In the small town of Orvieto, which is an elevated piece of land surrounded by cliffs, the people like to take a few hours of rest during the day. This time is called "Riposo." All shops and businesses are closed and people go home to eat lunch with their families and relax. Today, our group had a chance to travel around and see more landmarks and famous artwork... if we wanted to. You see, the past, what, four days?, we've been traveling a LOT. And seeing a LOT. My two friends and I decided that we'd take it easy today... make it a day of Riposo. I mean, we're going to be here for four months... we can travel around some more later. We went to a small cafe and ordered cappuccinos and pastries. We stayed there for maybe 3 hours. Don't judge. We know we're lazy. Then, we walked around the cobblestone streets of Orvieto for a good amount of time, learning our way around a little. After that, while shops were closing for Riposo, we went back to the monastery and all fell asleep in my friend Julia's room. Don't judge. It's Italian custom! Riposo means rest! We did get to talk about a lot of things and I've been enjoying getting to know these two girls, Julia and Whitney.

Last night I got a little taste of Italian wine. It puts any wine I've ever tasted to shame. It was home-made by the kind people who have been making our meals every day. I rarely find an alcoholic beverage that sits well with me; that I can sit back and enjoy. I just don't like the taste. But. Vino Italiano makes a meal so warm. A girl was sitting next to me who hadn't tasted wine before, and after a few glasses (about an hour later), she leaned over to me with heavy eyes and a huge smile (I don't even think her eyes were completely focused on mine) and she said, "A little vino goes a long way." I crrrrracked up.

Oh, plus, I drank my vino with some Nutella pizza. It was cooked dough blanketed with Nutella. I could have slept inside of it.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I'm so glad you're getting the full experience :P. I'm telling you, I wasn't partial to wine before Italy, but Italy made me fall in love. Now, all wine is just a little reminder of it, which makes any wine a first choice. Know what I mean?

    I want a glass right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, these comments are hilarious. the bride and groom one. the sleep inside the pizza one. im sitting here chuckling.
    Tristan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You added that last part later, didn't you? I didn't see it before. And I know what you mean. That thin crust has like a pocket inside of it where you could crawl inside of it and just sleep, with the scent and taste of nutella forever. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete