Saturday, February 20, 2010

Giorno Uno

I am in Italy. So far, we walked around a small part of Orvieto and saw the beautiful cathedral. We ate at the restaurant where we’ll be having lunch and dinner every day. I already ate a blood orange... something Sarah raved about when she got home from Italy. Boy... that was delicious. Each slice was like biting into a juice box. I am a little bit jet lagged because it is 5:30 PM here... where at home it would be 11:30 AM, and I haven’t gotten a full night’s sleep yet. Walking down these city streets, it’s hard not to feel like it’s all part of a fake Disney World set made to look like Italy. But, we are really here. It is beautiful. The view out my window is amaaazing. I don’t have a fully charged camera yet, so I had to take a picture with my laptop... it didn't come out that great but here 'tis!



No offense to anyone, but there’s one person I miss more than anyone already. That is Kaleb. I spent most of the past 9 months with him. I already have an imaginary Kaleb that I look down at. He swings his right arm when he walks, and he imitates sirens with his eyes squinted and a goofy smile. I miss the peanut.

I know Sarah had a plan to post on her blog with a picture every day that she was in Italy last Spring, but I don’t think I’ll be trying that. I will post often, but not that often. Now, don't go thinking I don't care about everyone at home :). I will share my great moments and colorful pictures with you. I just don't want to get too distracted with "Oh, I have to post today!" when there is a short time frame (an hour and a half) each day when I can catch up with emails and uploading photos and such. I will do my best, though, to keep those interested updated with my journeys and memories-in-the-making in Italy. Thanks so much for all the prayers, I can DEFINITELY feel them working in me. I have been more excited about this than ever and I believe that this is the right time in my life for this experience. After seeing Orvieto, meeting people, and getting to meet and hear stories from Matt Doll (the coordinator), I feel at peace right where I am.

PS - If you want to chat or Skype with me, the time to do it is between 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM your time.

2 comments:

  1. Lydia, this all seems so surreal... you're seeing everything I saw this same time last year. I feel like you're warping time right now, and making my experience become more vivid... and Lord knows I couldn't ask for anything more!!

    With that thought, heed this warning. Time WILL go fast. Make the best of it! Don't leave anything undone! Take advantage of those weekends to travel or get to know Orvieto better, or try a new type of food. Invest in the people you're surrounded with now. Live. it. up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment about Disney was powerful- definitely made me kind of understand what it might be like--surreal. I'm so jealous of you, but MAN- what a fantastic experience. Praying for you continually. _grace

    ReplyDelete