Monday, June 7, 2010

Da Bolsena a Orvieto

On Saturday night into Sunday morning, I walked with some friends and Italian strangers from Lake Bolsena to Orvieto. We walked from 12am to 5:45am through fields and over mountains under the biggest, most star-filled sky I've ever seen. It's an annual tradition, a pilgrimage in light of the Italian holiday Corpus Domini. It's in remembrance of Saint Dominic. It's exactly one week before the celebration of Corpus Christi, which is a celebration of Christ's body broken for us. Apparently it will be a huge parade all weekend, a beautiful event to end our semester here.

This past week my friends and I started a new thing that we call "slumbo jumbo." Julia has had a single all semester, and the room next to hers has extra mattresses and blankets... so, we drag extra pillows and mattresses to her room and have slumber parties. We had slumbo jumbos four nights in a row, not counting the overnight hike. Last night, I slept next to my friend Karen. She sleep talks a little bit. Last night she said, "No, no thank you. Oh." I wonder what she was dreaming about.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had done that all-night walk when I had the chance last year. You're doing what I left undone.

    ReplyDelete