Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hail Yes

I just spent about an hour working on my final project for my sculpting class. I'm working in plaster on a scene of Jacob wrestling God. Our studio is outdoors with a roof overhead, which I like very much. While I was working, the sky gradually went from bright blue with sharp light everywhere to an ominous gray. I watched the clouds roll in over the hills in the distance. Every now and then, there was a faint hum of thunder. It took its time coming in, and by the time I was ready to call it a day with my sculpture, I thought that the storm was fading away. I walked into the monastery and glanced out the window on the staircase. It was down-pouring. Not only that, but it was hail. I immediately turned around and scurried back down the stairs, then flattened out on my side at the bottom because my flip flops were covered in plaster dust. After regathering myself, I ran straight toward the door to the courtyard and stood out in the hail. Seconds later, some of my friends ran out and joined me. It was beautiful. I'm still drying off from it now. The hail stopped, but the lightening and thunder are still going strong. Let me tell you. The thunder here is deep and hefty. It lingers and shakes the ground. I loooooove it. Another highlight for this Italy trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment